|Tips for an enjoyable field
- Always wear strong shoes
- It is advisable to wear trousers or ensure legs are covered
- Bring sun protection cream and a sunhat in hot weather
- Bring something to drink
- Bring insect repellent
- Dogs are normally welcome on walks but must be kept under control. Any exceptions are shown in the individual event details.
- Dark glasses should be worn at evening moth events
- If you decide to leave an event before the end, please tell the leader that you are going
- It is recommended you bring binoculars especially if looking for woodland butterflies
- If new to butterfly identification bring along a field guide*
*The Branch sells the FSC Identification Guide to Butterflies. Contact Malcolm Hull (details on Committee Page)
Leaders will be at the meeting point whatever the weather, but may cancel the event if conditions are unsuitable. Any exceptions are shown in the individual event details. Other organisations and BC branches have different policies. Please contact the named leader for the walk before travelling if you have any concerns.
field trips will not be suitable for wheelchair users and pushchairs.
Please contact the field trip leader in advance if you
have any concerns about accessibility
We recommend that all attendees understand the symptoms of Lyme Disease and take the relevant precautions. For more information visit the branch website:
We have tried to give as
much information as possible, although unfortunately some of the
Hertfordshire events are not easily accessible by public transport.
Train times should be checked, as timetables change and engineering
works take place on Saturdays &